Credit points for activities at the Language Center of the University of Basel
Assessment of required coursework in the fall semester 2020
The following conditions apply to courses that require participants to complete coursework to receive credit points.
In portfolio courses, the coursework must be delivered digitally.
In courses in which participants must pass a written exam at the end of the course to acquire credit points, this exam will take place on site in the last course session, in compliance with hygiene and distancing rules. The Language Center will inform participants in time about the location and conditions.
Should it not be possible to hold the exam on site due to directives valid at the time from the University's Corona Task Force, the Language Center will inform course participants.
In general, the following principles apply:
- The current course descriptions of the Language Center provide information on whether and, if so, how many credit points (CPs) can be earned per course.
- To acquire credit points, required coursework must be delivered and certain conditions met, namely active participation in the course and passing the required coursework. This can be found in the respective course announcements.
Active participation in a course means that participants
- actively participate during the lessons,
- prepare and follow up the lessons,
- inform the lecturer about absences and find out how they can catch up on the missed material.
- If you wish to have a language certificate recognized for credit points, we need to see the original document.
- There must not be more than two semesters between entry level courses (Einsteigerkurse) and their respective foundation level I (Grundkurs I).
- Courses at the Language Center can be taken for credit as part of the elective curriculum of the different faculties of the University of Basel. The faculties determine the maximum number of credit points that can be earned with elective courses. You can find our agreements with the faculties of the University of Basel on our website.
Once students of the University of Basel satisfactorily complete the necessary course requirements, the Language Center transmits their grades and the number of earned credit points to the Deans´ offices. This happens by the end of January (fall semester) and July (spring semester). Students attending for credit will be informed separately about their grades and/or whether or not they passed the course. Students of other institutions of higher education who wish to earn credit points should contact the Language Center’s office.
If you want to earn credit points but are unable to take the final exam on the given date, you may write the exam on the next given date at the end of the subsequent semester (to benefit from this option, you must submit written proof of a studies-related reason for your absence to the director of the Language Center).
In portfolio courses, all parts of the portfolio must be submitted by the end of the course. Late submission of any parts or corrections after this deadline is not possible.
The faculties of the University of Basel award credit points for courses taken at the Language Center when attendance and other course requirements were met. You will find the most important information concerning the acquisition of credit points on the information sheet “Erwerb von Kreditpunkten” (available only in German; see download area).
Requirements for the Acquisition of Credit Points
The current course descriptions of the Language Center provide information on whether and, if so, how many credit points (CPs) can be earned per course. In order to earn credit points, certain conditions – as outlined in the course descriptions – must be met.
Regulations Concerning Foundation Level I (Grundkurs I)
- You can only receive credit points for an entry level course (Einsteigerkurs) after successfully completing the corresponding follow-up course (i.e. foundation level I [Grundkurs I]). Information on the number of credit points you can earn for Einsteigerkurs and Grundkurs I combined can be found in the Grundkurs I course description.
- In order to be awarded credit points, you must fulfill all requirements of both courses (as outlined in the respective course descriptions).
- There must not be more than two semesters between Einsteigerkurs and Grundkurs I.
- If, after consultation with the instructor, you decide to start directly with Grundkurs I, you can only earn half the number of credit points indicated in the Grundkurs I course description.
- If you only attend an Einsteigerkurs, you cannot earn any credit points.