Acquiring Credit Points at the Language Center of the University of Basel
In general, the following principles apply:
1. The current course descriptions of the Language Center provide information on whether and, if so, how many credit points (CPs) can be earned per course.
2. In order to earn CPs, all course requirements indicated in the course description must be met. Typically these include regular attendance and the satisfactory completion of an assessment (consisting of either a graded final exam or a portfolio [pass/fail]). If you wish to have a language certificate recognized for credit points, we need to see the original document.
3. There must not be more than two semesters between entry level courses (Einsteigerkurse) and their respective foundation level I (Grundkurs I). The same rule applies to starter and booster courses.
4. Courses at the Language Center can be taken for credit as part of the elective curriculum of the different faculties of the University of Basel. The faculties determine the maximum number of credit points that can be earned with elective courses. You can find our agreements with the faculties of the University of Basel on our website.
Once students of the University of Basel satisfactorily complete the necessary course requirements, the Language Center transmits their grades and the number of earned credit points to the Deans´ offices. This happens by the end of January (fall semester) and July (spring semester). Students attending for credit will be informed separately about their grades and/or whether or not they passed the course. Students of other institutions of higher education who wish to earn credit points should contact the Language Center’s office.
If you want to earn credit points but are unable to take the final exam on the given date, you may write the exam on the next given date at the end of the subsequent semester (to benefit from this option, you must submit written proof of a studies-related reason for your absence to the director of the Language Center).
In portfolio courses, all parts of the portfolio must be submitted by the end of the course. Late submission of any parts or corrections after this deadline is not possible.
The faculties of the University of Basel award credit points for courses taken at the Language Center when attendance and other course requirements were met. You will find the most important information concerning the acquisition of credit points on the information sheet “Erwerb von Kreditpunkten” (available only in German; see download area).
Requirements for the Acquisition of Credit Points
The current course descriptions of the Language Center provide information on whether and, if so, how many credit points (CPs) can be earned per course. In order to earn credit points, certain conditions – as outlined in the course descriptions – must be met.
Regulations Concerning Foundation Level I (Grundkurs I)
- You can only receive credit points for an entry level course (Einsteigerkurs) after successfully completing the corresponding follow-up course (i.e. foundation level I [Grundkurs I]). Information on the number of credit points you can earn for Einsteigerkurs and Grundkurs I combined can be found in the Grundkurs I course description.
- In order to be awarded credit points, you must fulfill all requirements of both courses (as outlined in the respective course descriptions).
- There must not be more than two semesters between Einsteigerkurs and Grundkurs I. The same rule applies to starter and booster courses.
- If, after consultation with the instructor, you decide to start directly with Grundkurs I, you can only earn half the number of credit points indicated in the Grundkurs I course description.
- If you only attend an Einsteigerkurs, you cannot earn any credit points.
- Please note that this rule does not apply to German as a Foreign Language: You cannot earn any credit points for Einsteigerkurse in German as a foreign language, even if you continue with Grundkurs I and fulfill the course requirements of all courses.